handsome bag co.
This series has become our signature piece. First conceived of in 2009 by Billy Potts, these bags and wallets are made from the ubiquitous vinyl upholstery found in most Hong Kong taxis. This is an exercise in elegant minimal design with sustainability in mind.
- Design upscale products from waste taxi upholstery
- Create a compelling brand and marketing around these products
- Address environmental issues on waste
- Involve local community and craftspeople
- Draw reference from Hong Kong culture
The material’s origin is subtly referenced in the red colour scheme of interiors and stitching- a nod to the distinctive red livery of Hong Kong taxis. These products were developed and made in Hong Kong with the help of Hong Kong craftspeople who applied their skills to this new design problem. We are still collaborating with the same family run upholstery shop in North Point.
- Create a range of bags, watches and wallets with the material
- Manufacture in small quantities with local craftspeople
- Coordinate a mutually beneficial relationship with upholstery shops
- Create Handsome Bag Co. as the overall brand
This project started everything for us. It has garnered international attention having been featured on CNN and been the subject of numerous lectures and talks at the Polytechnic University's School of Design, Monash University,the Baptist University School of Art, Lingnan University and the University of Hong Kong and several others. We were awarded Perspective Magazine's prestigous 40 Under 40 Award for this project and named one of Asia's top up and coming young designers.
- Product line was succesful
- Recipient of several design awards
- Press attention was leveraged to bring attention to social and environmental issues